Elements coursework offers studies in advanced mathematics, based on the Elements of Mathematics series, to highly-talented middle school students. Courses include formal logic, along with a broadened and accelerated course of math that is very different than mathematics curriculum used in schools. Some schools even allow students to substitute participation in Project MEGSSS Elements program for their math requirement. The Intro to Elements program is a great summer enrichment choice for math-talented students, and a prerequisite to participation in after-school classes (described below).
Many students who qualify for Elements have never experienced the challenge of grappling with difficult mathematics concepts and building the persistence to master such concepts. Student surveys indicate an improvement in students' intellectual abilities as a result of participation, including:
- Development of self-discipline & study habits.
- Better time management and organizational skills.
- Transfer of logical problem-solving techniques to other academic areas.
- A more positive approach to school.
- Ability to participate in higher-level mathematics coursework during high school & college.
The Roadmap to Elements
- Students sit for the Elements Admissions test: Our admissions test will open in February. Students who qualify based on our admissions test will be offered admission into the 2022-2023 first year cohort. REGISTER HERE
- Complete the Operational Systems Pre-requisite: With your child's offer of admissions you will receive directions to complete the Operational Systems courses. It is a virtual, at your own pace course.
- Complete the intro summer Elements course Logic Bootcamp: The 2021 Logic Bootcamp will be offered twice this summer: June 7-11th and August 2nd-6th. You may choose either session.
- Register for Elements: Elements registration will open next summer! REGISTER HERE
If you're interested in learning more about the Elements program to assess if its a good fit for your student contact Heather Sweeney at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an intake conversation.
Fall 2021 Schedule
All levels of Elements classes will take place on our virtual platform for the 2021-2022 Academic Year | Classes meet every Wednesday from 4:00-6:50pm
August 25th | First Day of Classes
September | 1, 8, 15, 22, 29
October | 6, 13, 20, 27
November | 3, 10, 17 24th – Off for Thanksgiving
December | 1, 8, 15 22nd and 29th – Off for Winter Break
January | 5, 12, 19, 26
February | 2, 9, 16, 23
March | 2, 9, 30 16th and 23rd - Off for Spring Break
April | 6, 13, 20, 27
May | 4, 11
Introducing Friday Nights Live
At MEGSSS Friday Night Live each year will have the opportunity to meet in person once a month. This will be an opportunity to get face-to-face help and tutoring from our teachers. Just as importantly, it's an opportunity to connect with peers. Students can play games, socialize, offer peer support to each other, and work with their teachers face-to-face!
Fridays from 4:30-6:00pm
Bio Research and Development Growth (BRDG) PARK 1005 N Warson Rd, St. Louis, MO 63132
Please remember that ALL Levels are invited to attend ANY Friday Night Live. The levels identified in the schedule below will be the priority for tutoring but there will be opportunity for engagement for any student who wishes to attend.
1 First Year
8 Second and Third Years
15 All Years plus Families and Others
22, 29 OFF
5 First Year
12 Second and Third Year
19, 26 OFF
3 First Year
10 Second and Third Year
17, 24 & 31 OFF